She graduated in Psychology (cum laude) from the University of the Philippines in 1991 and later of Medicine and Surgery from the same university in 1996. She continued her training in Ophthalmology at the East Avenue Medical Center Eye Department in Manila with the title of specialist in Ophthalmology, which is currently validated by the Spanish Ministry of Health. She came to Barcelona, to the Clinica Barraquer by a grant from the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation in 2002. She completed a Master in Anterior Segment in 2003 at the Institu t Universitari Barraquer. She did a Fellowship in Cornea for 4 years at the same centre.
- Anterior Segment of the eye.
- Specialist in cornea, dry eye and ocular surface.
- Specialist in corneal transplantation, ocular surface tumours, artificial cornea/keratoprostheses.
Featured publications | Congresses
- Utheim O, Islam R, Lyberg T, Roald B, Eidet JR, de la Paz MF, Dartt DA, Raeder S, Uthei TP. Serum-free and xenobiotic-free preservation of cultured human limbal epithelial cells. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 3;10(3)
- de Rezende Couto Nascimento V, de la Paz MF, Rosandic J, Stoiber J, Seyeddain O, Grabner G, Alvarez de Toledo J, Barraquer RI, Michael R. Influence of primary diagnosis and complications on visual outcome in patients receiving a Boston type 1 keratoprosthesis. Ophthalmic Res. 2014;52(1):9-16.
- de la Paz MF, Stoiber J, de Rezende Couto Nascimento V, de Toledo JA, Seyeddain O, Hitzl W, Grabner G, Barraquer RI, Michael R. Anatomical survival and visual prognosis of Boston type I keratoprosthesis in challenging cases. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;252(1):83-90.
- Fernández-Vega Cueto L, Tresserra F, de la Paz MF. [De novo growth of a capillary hemangioma of the conjunctiva]. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2014 Mar;89(3):127-9.
- Alvarez de Toledo J, de la Paz MF. Manual to laser trephination in corneal transplantation: are patients noticing a difference? Br J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jun;98(6):717-8.
- Boston keratoprosthesis
- Conjunctival tumours
- Corneal dystrophies
- Dry eye
- Pterygium and pinguecula
- Vernal conjunctivitis