Prof. Rafael I. Barraquer Compte is a graduate of Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB, 1979). He has a ECFMG certificate (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) (1980), is a Consultant in Ophthalmology at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre (1982) and has a PhD in Medicine and Surgery from the UAB (1989).
The Professor is currently the Medical Director of the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre and Teaching Director of the Accredited Unit for the Training of Specialists in Ophthalmology on the Official House Officer (MIR) programme. He is Vice-President and Teaching Director of the Barraquer Institute, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology of the UAB—where he is also Holder of the Joaquin Barraquer Chair in Ophthalmology Research—, President of the European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER) and Professor of Ophthalmology at the International University of Catalonia (UIC).
Prof. Barraquer’s teaching activity includes over 4500 hours of teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level, which started when he was a medicine student in 1979, including training over 100 house officers in Ophthalmology. He is a member of more than 30 scientific associations. He has attended and actively participated in more than 300 scientific conferences and meetings. His bibliography includes 7 books as author, 57 book chapters and other contributions. He has published 130 scientific article, 75 of which are in indexed journals, 42 in Journal Citation Reports (JCR) and 25 in Q1. His main areas of interest in research are anterior segment diseases and surgery, particularly the cornea, refractive surgery and crystalline lens substitutes (Faco-Ersatz project), as well as conservative treatment of eye tumours.
- Medical Director of the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre
- Teaching Director of the Teaching Director of the Accredited Unit for the Training of Specialists in Ophthalmology on the official House Officer programme.
- Vice president and teaching director at the Barraquer Institute
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Holder of the Joaquin Barraquer Chair in Ophthalmology Research of Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).
- President of the European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER)
- Professor of Ophthalmology at the International University of Catalonia (UIC).
- President of the 36th World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC2018).
- Acanthamoeba keratitis
- Bullous keratopathy
- Cataract surgery (phacoemulsification)
- Congenital cataract surgery
- Congenital cataracts
- Conjunctival tumour surgery
- Contact lens-related keratitis
- Cornea guttata and Fuchs dystrophy
- Cornea trasplant
- Corneal dystrophies
- Corneal laser refractive surgery
- Femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery
- Herpes keratitis
- High myopia
- High myopia surgery
- Iris and ciliary body tumours
- Iris surgery
- Peters anomaly
- Presbyopia or tired eyes
- PRK laser refractive surgery